The disastrous wildfires have started in June this year and continue to burn the west, forcing people to evacuate from their homes. Since then, the Red Cross is there working hard to provide affected families with safe lodging, nourishing meals, comfort, and care during this ongoing crisis. We at Wilco Land know how intense these wildfires can be so we partnered with Red Cross in their efforts to support the victims during the recovery process.
Wildfires burn the US every year putting more and more people living in or near wildfire-prone areas at risk. If you are one of these people, here are some safety tips from Red Cross to keep your property and family much safer.
- Make sure driveway entrances and your house number are clearly marked so fire vehicles can get to your home.
- Shut all windows and doors. Remove flammable window shades, curtains, and close metal shutters.
- Move flammable furniture to the center of the room, away from windows and doors.
- Shut off gas at the meter; turn off pilot lights. Shut off the air conditioning.
- Gather up flammable items from the exterior of the house and bring them inside (patio furniture, toys, trash cans).
- Turn off propane tanks. Move propane BBQ appliances away from structures.
- Don’t leave sprinklers on or water running, they can affect critical water pressure.
- Back your loaded car into the driveway and keep all doors and windows closed.
- Ensure your emergency supplies kit is in your vehicle.
- Locate your pets and take them with you.
We hope that these tips help you be prepared for wildfires in your area.
If you need to go to a shelter, visit redcross.org or call 800-RED-CROSS (800-733-2767).
Want to know when new land is in?
Sign up here to receive email notifications as new listings come available!